Roulette is an incredible game that offers excitements, huge profit potential and diverse gameplay. In our review of the roulette rules, you will discover how to play the game step by step with a look at various roulette games and all the special betting options they offer.
Introduction to the table
Welcome to the world of online roulette. To all new players that are looking to explore all the possibilities that come with playing the game, we present our rules guide that will teach you the simple step by step of how to play.
This review is a precursor to our guide on roulette strategies that will also help you to play the game with a higher degree of confidence as we provide a large number of professional betting systems and techniques that will help you to win the game more frequently.
There are many forms that roulette takes in the arena of online casinos. Here we touch on the basics of play and explore with you some of the variants of the game that come with rules of engagement that are a slight twist on what are considered the traditional steps of gaming.
✅ Roulette provides the largest single odds for any casino game.
✅ Roulette provides multiple betting options to cover your prediction.
✅ Roulette offers multiple gaming variants both Live and as a virtual machine.
How to play roulette
Later on, we will be looking more in-depth of the roulette rules and payouts, but first, here are the step by step basics on how to play roulette online.
- Roulette is a game focused on the prediction of a correct number.
- There are two types of betting number brackets. Tables with 1 to 37 numbers and 1 to 38 numbers.
- In starting the game, select the value of the bet you wish to wager your prediction on.
- Select your number or numbers by placing the chips onto the table layout.
- Press Spin or wait for the live dealer to spin the roulette wheel and deposit the ball counter-clockwise and spin it within the wheel.
- The ball and wheel will reveal the correct number once the rotations have stopped.
- If you predicted the correct number, you win, and any placements of bets that are part of the same number also win i.e. colour, column, odd or even and grouped betting.
As you can see there is really nothing more to it than 1) selecting a number, 2) placing a bet or covering bets for your number and 3) watch what happens after the wheel stops.
Getting the basics
There are two different formats of table that you can play on when enjoying the roulette game. Most roulette tables have a numbering option of 1 to 36 and contains a single 0. This is commonly used even within the differing variants. Then you have the American roulette table that offers the same 1 to 36 numbers but comes with a single 0, but also a double zero (00) betting option.
What you bet on is entirely up to you. The choice of a single number can be removed with other betting options that allow you to cover various areas on the table, sections of the number grid covering quarter, pairs, columns, rows, odd or even, red or black. As a game, it will give you the largest betting platform of any game within the world of casinos.
Casino roulette rules
We now move onto the table and look at the different ways you can bet that complies with the roulette table rules.
Roulette allows for you to bet on anything you want, the game is open to the largest opportunities of any casino game online. Once you know how to play roulette game in casino, you may not want to play any other game after.
In this part of our guide, we are going to look at the various betting ways there are in the game. The combinations are fairly large, with players being able to lay down single bets over sectioned bets and on top of outside bets.
The following categorizations will help you to better understand what the layout of the roulette table if offering within a wide range of gaming variants.
When you look at an online roulette table, it may look odd at first for a new player. Note that everything you see on the table, including the words, are something you can bet on. Every box is a move you can place your wagering chip into.
There are 7 main bets in roulette, the core bets that are classed and labelled as the Inside Bets.
- The Straight Bet: This bet covers your single number bet. Place one chip inside of the square to confirm your wager. You can pick multiple numbers with a straight bet also.
- The Split Bet: This ‘paired’ bet will allow you two wager on two numbers at the same time. Place the chip between two numbers so it rests in the middle. You can place as many split bets on the table as you wish.
- The Street Bet: This betting option allows you to cover three numbers that form a triple row on the table layout. For example, by placing a chip on the edge of 28 and partially in the 3rd 12 box, you will be betting on 28, 29 and 30.
- Six Line Bet: Using this bet allows you to cover six numbers in total. Place your chip central of two rows and partially inside any of the 12s boxes. For example, your chip is half of numbers 4 and 7 and half in the 1st 12 box. This bet, therefore, covers six numbers 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9.
- Corner Bet: Also known as quarters, this bet helps you to wager on four numbers. Place your chip central of any four numbers on the table. For example, putting your chip in the middle of the area linking numbers 20, 21, 23 and 24.
- Trio Bet: The trio bet allows you to cover three bets and is specially reserved to make use of the option of green zero and double zero (American roulette). To make this bet using a standard table, place your chip so it is half on the 0 square and central to either 1 and 2, or 2 and 3. With the American table, you can either cover 0, 1 and 2 or 00, 2 and 3.
- The Basket: This bet covers the numbers 0, 1, 2 and 3. Place your chip so that part is on the area of 0, box 1 and partially in the 1st 12 box. This is the corner that will cover these three numbers.
Once you see and know how to play roulette at casino parlours online, it becomes all too clear why this is a game that is hugely loved because of how you can hedge your bets and secure your win. This is only half of the ways that you are able to cover your number prediction, and these can be placed in any variant of the casino game and within any format be it live or virtual.
As new roulette players, looking at the table, you will see that there are still a number of boxes on the layout that we have not covered. These are classed as the Outside bets. Everything in the Inside bets solely looked at the numbers specifically whether they were single or grouped. With Outside bets, it is all about larger collective bets that can be formed from the table.
- Red or Black: Each number is coloured in alternate sequence: 1 Red, 2 Black, 3 Red, 4 Black, 5 Red, 6 Black and so one. By making one of these betting selections by placing your chip on either black or red, it is allowing you to cover all 18 numbers that match that colour and to what colour of number the ball will land on.
- Odd or Even: This is another way to bet on the collective pairing as to whether the number the ball will land on is odd or even. So, another 18-number wager that is made by placing your chip in one of these boxes.
- 1 to 18 or 19 to 36: On the outer part of the layout in each corner you will find the boxes marked 1 to 18 and 19 to 36. This allows you to wager on 18 numbers within each range bracket. Place your chip in any box to cover the prediction of what number will land to fall in one of these range brackets.
- Dozens: We mentioned in the Inside bets of partially covering 1st 12 as an example. Well, these bets fully utilize the boxes for their intended purpose. There are three sections that each cover 12 numbers. 1st 12 (numbers 1 to 12), 2nd 12 (numbers 13 to 24) and 3rd 12 (numbers 25 to 36). Place your chip inside the box in relation to where you think the selected number of the ball would fall into.
- Columns: Looking at the table, to the furthest right of the layout, you will see three boxes marked at the end of each row marked with 2 to 1. This is the odds return for betting on rows and there are three rows. You can bet on one or two rows. Row 1 holds numbers 1 to 34. Row 2 holds numbers 2 to 35 and Row 3 has numbers 3 to 36.
So far with both Inside and Outside bets, you can mix both combinations. Do not feel you can make only one of these selections, it is important to understand YOU CAN USE ANY COMBINATION OF BETS INSIDE AND OUTSIDE.
If you play the roulette game with the French table, you will come across what are known as announced bets. These are special combination bets that can, in some instances, also be traced on variants of the European table. Because they are more prevalent with the French option, all the bets are given French names.
Voisins du Zero translates to Neighbours of Zero. This section of betting focuses on the number of zero and seven numbers found on each side of the zero from a wheel perspective.
The bets and numbers covered with a Voisins du Zero wager are:
- Trio Bets: Numbers 0, 2 and 3.
- Five Split: 4 and 7, 12 and 15, 18 and 21, 19 and 22, 32 and 35. Place your chip between one of these options.
- One Corner: 25, 26, 28 and 29.
Le Tiers du Cylindre translates to One Third of the Wheel. This bet covers 12 numbers in total from 27 through to 33 as you see it on the wheel. By selecting this bet you are covering all 12 numbers: 27 / 13 / 36 / 11 / 30 / 8 / 23/ 10 / 5 / 24 / 16 / 33
Orphelins is a betting option that allows you to cover 8 numbers: 1 / 6 / 9 / 14 / 17 /20 / 31 / 34.
Jeu Zero otherwise translated as Zero Game. This bet will cover the three neighbouring numbers by the zero spot. This bets on 26 and splits on 0 and 3, 12 and 15, 32 and 35.
French roulette rules – En Prison
The En Prison rule is what can be described as an insurance bet. The rule is there to help players that make any even money wager such as red or black, odd or even, as an example. Should the ball rest in a pocket that contains any number with a ‘0’ in it then the player can make one of two choices. Either get half the amount of the bet placed or they can have their bet imprisoned. An imprisoned bet means it remains in place for the next spin. If on the following spin another number containing ‘0’ lands, the bet is lost.
La Partage rule
The La Partage bet is another form of insurance bet that is exactly the same as the En Prison option with one detail changed. If you opt for this rule, there is no option to continue your bet forward, the imprisoned choice is removed. All players using La Partage will receive half the wager made should the ball land on the pocket of a number that contains a ‘0’.
Using either the La Partage or En Prison bet means the house edge actually decreases for a better advantage to the player.
How to play roulette for beginners
With all the possible bets that can be made explained, we can now fully turn to explain in detail how to play roulette at casino sites with confidence. For new players, roulette is a very popular option so as mentioned in our strategy guide, the best form of learning is practice.
If you want to play roulette in casinos and want the best learning tools for this, then free demo games provide players with the perfect option. Free demo games are authentic real money games developed by licensed casino software developers.
By using these games, you effectively have the blueprints for cracking the game and being very successful online.
With the free demo roulette games, you will be able to learn all of these different betting combinations across a huge variety of roulette tables.
Take your time to practice and experiment with these games, it’s always better to learn from your mistakes whilst the game is free than to do it with your money on the line.